:: It's Just My 2 Cents Because Sharing is Caring ::
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Funny Mistakes in English
We should always try to learn from our mistakes. But we can also learn from other people's mistakes. Looking at these mistakes from around the world is another way to laugh and learn English!
1.A bar in Japan made this generous offer: "Special cocktails for the ladies with nuts."
(They must have offered a special cocktail with nuts. "Ladies with nuts" sounds like the women must be with strange, crazy men!)
2. Feel free to contact me if you cause any problems.
(It should be either "if you have any problems" or "in case of any problems".)
3. He makes breakfast from the hotel guests. (Ugh! Does he really use people as meat?!Of course, he should make breakfast FOR the guests!)
4. A tourist in Thailand saw this sign in a dry cleaning shop: "Drop your trousers here for best results." ("Drop your trousers" sounds like a command to "take off" your trousers! Maybe "drop off your trousers" or just "bring your trousers here" would be better.)
5. A tailor shop in Hong Kong once announced to its customers: "Ladies may have a fit upstairs." ("Have a fit" means to get angry while screaming or yelling!)
6. A sign in a bar in Norway proclaimed: "Ladies are requested not to have children in the bar." (This means they should not give birth to a baby at the bar! The sign should read "not bring children".)
7. Two signs in a shop in Spain said, "English well talking" and "Here speeching American". It should be “English well spoken” “ Here we speak American English.”
8. On his wedding he was wearing a very expensive suitcase. (I am sure he was just wearing a suit, right?)